Phone: (248) 996-8510
THE HEALTH LAW PARTNERS, P.C.
29566 Northwestern Highway, Suite 200
Southfield, MI 48034
Alan Gilchrist is a partner at The Health Law Partners and leads the Civil False Claims and White-Collar Criminal Defense practice group. A nationally recognized health care lawyer, Mr. Gilchrist specializes not only in civil false claims and white-collar criminal defense, but also in matters related to licensure, reimbursement, compliance, and fraud and abuse. He represents all types of health care providers, suppliers and professional organizations.
Mr. Gilchrist has successfully argued provider-reimbursement issues before the U.S. Supreme Court on behalf of the American Academy of Family Physicians and the Michigan Academy of Family Physicians. In addition, Mr. Gilchrist also has the distinction of being the first attorney to successfully defend a physician group in a Stark and Anti-Kickback case brought by the U.S. Department of Justice.
Mr. Gilchrist is a frequent speaker both locally and nationally, including before organizations such as the FBI National Symposium on Healthcare Fraud, the American Health Lawyers Association, the American Medical Association, and the American Bar Association. He assisted the State Bar of Michigan and the Institute of Continuing Legal Education in establishing the Health Law Institute and has been a planner, moderator, and lecturer at these seminars for the past 14 years.
Mr. Gilchrist has consistently received the highest available ranking by all the major peer review publications such as Super Lawyers, Martindale-Hubbell, and Best Lawyers of America and was selected to be included in the inaugural class of Fellows of the State Bar of Michigan’s Health Care Law Section. A graduate of the University of Michigan, Mr. Gilchrist earned his juris doctorate from Wayne State University School of Law, Magna Cum Laude.
Practice Areas view
- Anti-Kickback Statute, Stark Law, and Fraud & Abuse Issues
- Health Care Investigations and Litigation
- Licensing and Staff Privilege Matters
- J.D., Wayne State University Law School, 1973
Magna Cum Laude
- B.A., University of Michigan, 1969
Bar Admissions view
- Michigan Court of Appeals
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Michigan
- U.S. Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals
- U.S. Supreme Court
Professional Associations view
- State Bar of Michigan
- Health Law Section, Fellow
- American Bar Association
- Michigan State Bar Foundation, Fellow
- Michigan Institute of Continuing Legal Education
- Assisted the Michigan State Bar to establish the Health Law Institute; Has planned, moderated and lectured at these seminars for over a decade.
- American Health Lawyers Association
- Fraud and Abuse Planning Committee Voluntary Disclosure Task Force
Honors & Awards view
- AV Preeminent Martindale-Hubbell
- Best Lawyers in America (Health Care Law, Administrative Law)
- Honored by d’business magazine in 2011 as a “Top Lawyer in Health Care”
- Named a Super Lawyer for his achievements in health care law, 2006-2011
Speaking Engagements view
- “Fraud and Abuse Update,” by Alan G. Gilchrist, Esq. and Raymond Beckering III, Esq., 2012 Institute for Continuing Legal Education Health Law Institute, Plymouth, MI, March 9, 2012.
- “Practice Integration: Healthcare Practice Appraisals, M & A, Sales of Physician Practices,” Alan G. Gilchrist, Esq., Michigan Association of CPAs, April 28, 2011.
- “Seminar: Fraud/Abuse Changes in Health Care Reform,” Alan G. Gilchrist, Esq., State Bar of Michigan Health Care Law Section Annual Meeting, September 23, 2010.
- “State Medicaid Fraud Cases,” Alan G. Gilchrist, Esq., American Health Lawyers Association Fraud and Compliance Forum, 2008.
- “Defending Qui Tam Cases When the Government Has Declined Intervention,” Alan G. Gilchrist, Esq., American Health Lawyers Association Fraud and Compliance Forum, 2005.
- “Lessons Learned from Trying a Stark Case,” Alan G. Gilchrist, Esq., American Health Lawyers Association Fraud and Compliance Forum, 2002.
- “Health Care Fraud Cases from the Viewpoint of the Health Care Provider,” Alan G. Gilchrist, Esq., FBI Symposium on Health Care Fraud, 1986.